Bartlesville Round-Up Club History
In 1941, several businessmen from Bartlesville bought sixty acres just outside of Bartlesville in Osage County. The money came from personal contributions and contributions from some corporations in the Bartlesville area. Some of these men included Mr. May (May Brothers), Mr. Roy Hughes (Car Dealer), Mr. Orson Webb, Mr. Coolie Vincent (Phillips Petroleum), Mr. Mort Murray, Mr. Clay Briggs (City Service), Mr. Gerald Nutter (druggist), and Mr. Orville Guinn (feed dealer).
The round-up club members were very active in local events such as parades, cavalcade, and ropings. In those days the club had approximately 97 members. Like now, the club hosted several ropings. The difference is that, in the early days, the cattle was only .25 per run. The round-up club is very proud of the new arena built in 1990 and finished in 1991. Henry Prather remembers this as being the third arena since the club was formed. Henry recalls that in 1960 they built a new arena and pens.
The round-up club is also very proud they were able to build a new concession stand on the grounds in 1988. The original concession stand was in the back of a pickup truck. After that, the club had a few small porta-buildings that left a lot to be desired for a concession stand. Henry Prather has been a dedicated member of the Bartlesville Round-Up Club since from its beginning. Henry has held every office for the club and has been on the board of directors for many years. He is the club's only "Lifetime Member," and has always been there to help the Bartlesville Round-Up Club in any way he could.
When the round-up club bought the land from Mr. Beumeler, it was stated that the land could never be sold as long as the grass grows, the water flows, and the wind blows . . .and as long as there is at least one club member, there will always be a Bartlesville Round-Up Club.